Thursday, September 10, 2009

New Experiences

My new favorite thing these days is taking the kids on little outings.  One day I treated the kids to some Rite Aid ice cream.  Mmm... As far as I know they're the only place that sells Chocolate Malted Crunch which just happens to be one of my all time favorites!  The kids loved it too and they even got a chance to pick out which flavors they each wanted.  Another great thing about Rite Aid ice cream is the price.  It's only a dollar a scoop so the whole experience only cost my $3.  Rite Aid and the dollar theater have become my two favorite cheap places to take the kids.

 Our latest trip was downtown to see the sites.  We parked in the Beale Library parking lot intending to go in but unfortunately it wasn't open yet so we took a pleasant walk down the street to the Rabobank and explored around there for a bit and then walked back down and around to the Ice Sports Center and watched the ice skaters for a bit.  It was surprisingly fun.  One of the skaters was actually pretty good and made it interesting to watch.  When the kids finally got too cold in the arena we heading out and just for the exploration aspect of it I had them each touch the cold ice to see what it felt like.  It was a fun experience watching the looks on their faces when they touched the arena surface and realized that it really was ICE.

Afterwards we decided to head back to the library.  I took the kids inside and we looked around for a bit before checking out some motorcycle books.  I've always really liked that library.  I have fond memories of going there as a kid and being so amazed at how huge it was.  So it was fun and really nostalgic being there with the kids even though the majority of the time they weren't exactly library quiet (if you know what I mean).

On the way back to the car the kids spotted the Amtrak train and begged me to take them over to go see it.  It just so happens that there's a little playground right next to the train so we hung out for a while and played while we waited for the train to depart (which it never did).  

And then I remembered one thing I've always wanted to do was get a closer look at that big globe in front of the Amtrak station so I took the kids over to it.  At first they were just amazed.  They actually stood still (which is a big deal for them) and watched it for a few minutes before even getting the idea to touch it and play in the water. 

All in all it was actually quite an exhausting trip but super fun too!  I love watching the kids experience new things and that day we did tons of it which made all the trouble totally worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment