Saturday, September 20, 2008

Preston's 1st Birthday

August 21, 2008~
To give myself a little credit I actually wrote most of this post on August 21st which of course IS Preston's birthday.  I wanted to wish my little boy a HAPPY BIRTHDAY and at the same time celebrate and share with everyone what an 
amazing son I have. 

Preston has made so many awesome achievements in the one short year that he's been on this earth.  His latest being that he is walking!  About 2 weeks before his 1st birthday he started to take daring little steps into the center of the room and he would mostly fall but by a year he had just about got it and now, weeks after his birthday, he's a total pro.  At one year old Preston weighs 18 pounds 9 ounces and is 29 1/2 inches tall.  Preston is such a joy to be around.  He has THE biggest most infectious smile and the cutest little blond curls.  He's a huge mamma's boy and always insists on being held just about every second of every day. 
 He's a NON-stop drooler.  Andy once asked me, "Where does it all come from?" and to be honest I have no idea.  I catch myself all the time calling him Buddy, so much so that Evelyn's starting to pick it up too.  Preston loves his big sister so much and he always gets super excited when she interacts with him.  It's only been the past month or
 so that they've really played together but already I can tell that they are going to be lifelong friends.  Also, like most kids Preston is SO ticklish- just about everywhere too and he has the most adorable belly laugh ever.  On the flip side he has quite the temper too.  It's actually pretty funny to watch though because he looks so cute doing it.  He clenches his little fists, looks straight at you and lets out a growl/scream.  It almost always ends in a screaming match between the kids until mom breaks it up and they usually have
 a good laugh at my expense.  
 
At least every hour on Preston's birthday Evelyn told him "HAPPY BIRKAY PRESTON" and she would do her best at singing the birthday song.  She was so excited for her little brothers big day and that made the day that much more special for the rest of us.  Unfortunately Andy had to work on Preston's birthday so the kids and I went on a little field trip by ourselves.  I had to get a few things at Walmart so we stopped by there and ended up wandering the isles looking at all the fun stuff, their favorites of course being the toys and the fish.  I bought Preston his first brand new pair 
of shoes (size 4) and the smallest regulation sized soccer ball.  
We ended the day by going to the park and the kids had a blast playing until the sun went down.  A couple days later, Andy's parents threw Preston an official birthday party.  It was so much fun getting together with everyone!  Then last weekend my side of the family got together at the park and had another celebration for him which I'll write about in a little more detail later.

I've been debating whether I should share this last story or not but I've decided to just do it.  The other day something funny and slightly embarrassing happened to me.  I took Preston in for his 1 year checkup with the doctor and as the doctor was doing his routine check up he said something that totally embarrassed me.  True story: He said, and I quote, "Wow, he's got a big scrotum!".  And then examining further he continued to say "He's big all over!".  I couldn't believe the doctor would be so nonchalant about something like
 that.  I guess I'll admit I was a little proud but when I told Andy about it he was ecstatic.  The doctor also said he got the award for the bluest eyes of all his patience but that wasn't nearly as funny (or shocking).

Preston is such a sweet kid and as his mommy I hope that he always knows that.  I am so proud of all the little things he does and all the things he will do.  I can't even begin to explain how much happiness I feel every time he takes a little step and I just love that wonderful look of accomplishment on his face every time he does.  He honestly is the best little boy a mom could ever ask for.  I LOVE him SO much!  

6 comments:

  1. Hey, all these updates, and I'm behind!

    Happy Birthday Preston! You are so cute, and looking more like your sister everyday, I might add.

    (I have one son who is shockingly well-endowed; I was embarrassed every time I changed his diaper)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big scrotum hu? Nobody is ever gonna forget that even when he's all grown up. Pretty funny.
    Happy birthday Preston! Love you tons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy (late) Birthday Preston! He is so dang cute and looks so much like his Dad. The "Big Scrotum" issue is def. a Waite thing. Just ask Anna.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ^lollerz!!

    Happy Birthday Preston. Sorry I was out of town and missed it. He is a-DORE-able!

    ReplyDelete
  5. He's going to be so happy when he gets older and reads that EVERYONE knows about his big scrotum. Congrats and Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete