Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Potty Time!

I wasn't planning on potty training Evelyn for at least another six months but as with all kids she seems to have a mind of her own and she's decided she's ready to take the plunge. Of course I blame my sisters kids. It all started the other day when I watched my nieces and nephew for the day. My nephew is potty trained already and my niece who is only a few months older is already almost trained. Evelyn kept following her into the bathroom and somehow now thinks she's got it. I can't get her to keep her diaper on no matter how many layers of clothing I put on her and somehow she's already picked up the words pee pee, poo poo, potty, and my favorite, eew. Let's just say it's been fun. I've spent more time in the bathroom these last few days then I have probably in the last month. She keeps wanting to sit on the potty but then she just sits there. I figure if I can get her to go in the potty once then I can reward her and cheer her on but she still hasn't managed to go yet. I am totally not prepared for this but ready or not here it is. I've always heard that you will just know when your child is ready. I thought that was a joke but instead that YOU decide when they are ready but I guess I was wrong. Anyway, I went to wal-mart and bought her a potty chair. I'm crossing my fingers that she will like it and that it will work. I know a lot of the people reading my blog have already gone through this experience before so if anyone has any tips or suggestions please send them my way. I would love to hear what's worked for everyone and feel free to share any funny stories. It might make things a little more pleasant for me.

8 comments:

  1. I'm sorry my kids taught her that. (Well sort of) Eliza started the same way, by watching Joshua. We have sort of let her take the lead of this one and so far so good. Where as Joshua was on his own and I did decide when to potty train him and we started when he was 2 1/2 and it took a couple of months. Eliza went through the same thing that Evey is doing now. All she ever wanted to do was sit on the potty but never went. And she was always taking off her diaper. What I did that worked for Eliza was one day when I knew we were going to be home all day and nothing was going on I just gave her anything and as much as she could drink. I asked her a billion times if she had to go potty and took her often. Eventually she went and that was were we started. After a while she did not wast to wear diapers but Joshua's underwear so we bought her her own and she will wear nothing else. We have good days were she will go all day and then she has bad days were she will go through everything that we put on her. Good luck and if you ever need help with anything even if it is just to watch Preston so that you can focus on Evey let me know. She is a smart girl. I don't think it would have taken her long to figure out even without the help of my kids. (P.S. Sorry this was so long)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe she is a woman now! I HATE potty training. I hope it works out well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew's doing the same thing right now! Freaky weird same birthday thing I guess. James started out that way too he ended up going in the potty a couple times but nothing consistent (around the same age as Evelyn & Andrew too) I think I may have started to pressure him a little bit because I wanted him to hurry up and be trained because I was tired of spending the day in the bathroom so I backed off a little bit. So, one weekend when he was about 2 yrs 3 mos old I asked if he was ready to try again and he said yes. I let him run around naked and in big boy underwear and in a day and a half he was completely trained with the exception of wetting his pull up in the night which we're still working on. Also, he hated his potty chair he'd rather kind of hang on the toilet/grip the sides and go. I was always afraid he'd fall in but he only did once lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck Amber. A few months back I thought Porter was ready he started saying he needed to go potty so I went with it. Then it died of quickly. Now hes back doing it again. After he uses the potty I reward him with a sticker or something he really likes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I try to avoid potty training at ALL costs. Brains is still in diapers at 9 years old sooooooooooo

    ReplyDelete
  6. amber, i got a blog now. check it out

    ReplyDelete
  7. Potty training is the dumps. You will have some of the most disgusting experiences of your life. Once she's potty trained, for about a year or so, she will call you to wipe her butt every time it's number 2. She'll lean forward and wrap her arms around your legs, to give you easy access. This is normal. Don't be embarrassed when you're on the phone or have company over and she yells from the bathroom, "Mom, wipe my butt!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am going to waite just a couple more years to train Howie, I am sure his kindergarten teacher won't mind.

    ReplyDelete