Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Mother of Two

I think I'm SLOWLY getting the hang of this whole "being a mom of two kids" thing. I had no idea how much different it would be having two kids instead of just one and I have to say that all you other moms reading this make it look so much easier than it actually is. To explain what I mean, last week I had an appointment and Andy had to work which meant that I was on my own getting Evelyn & Preston ready and in the car. Oh man, most everyone already knows that I can't be on time to anything if my life depended on it but this was BAD. I showed up 45 minutes late. I had to practically beg them to let me even keep my appointment I was so late. Luckily they squeezed me in but I had to wait forever and by the time I left both the kids were screaming that they were hungry and Evelyn nearly fell asleep minutes before we left which made it extremly hard to get them in the car. Oh, and the best part about it was that as I was standing there at the front counter setting up my next appointment I looked down and noticed that I had leaked milk all down my shirt AND I still had to make a trip to the bank to pay a bill. I was supposed to go grocery shopping after that but with two hungry sleepy children and a sopping wet t-shirt... that certainly didn't happen. Since then it's gotten a little better. The second time I left the house by myself with both kids was last Thursday. Preston had his very first visit to the doctor and I can't say that I was on time but at least I was within my usual 5-10 minutes late. Preston did pretty good. He didn't get any shots or anything which was nice (for both of us). It was just a regular checkup visit and everything checked out fine. My little man now weighs 8 pounds 9 ounces which means he gained a whopping 11 ounces in 9 days and is still an even 21 inches long. The doctor said that out of the 3 other newborns that he had seen that morning Preston was the tallest and had gained the most weight since birth. That's right, it's all in the milk, baby! And Evelyn, as always, refused to stay in the room with all the toys and insisted on wandering the halls, exploring all the different rooms and showing off all her tricks to the receptionist while I attempted to fill out paperwork. But, other than all that she was pretty good and she managed to stay out of too much trouble. It certainly wasn't the smoothest visit but after that first trip out of the house with both kids I NEVER thought i'd ever want to leave the house again. Since then I definetly feel like i'm finally learning to get a handle on things but i've still got a long ways to go.

4 comments:

  1. I don't know what Moms you see but its definitely not me. I probably get more people looking at me and saying oh that poor lady. But taking around more than one kiddo gets easier as you learn all the tricks. I had to take all three to the doctor last week. Lets just say I decided not to wait around for the vitamins I was supposed to pick up at the pharmacy. I get to do the same thing all over again on Monday. Wish me luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I never left James with a sitter until I had Andrew. After the first fiasco out alone, with them both, I started scheduling playdates or dropping him off at Grandma's. So, anyway, you can feel free to drop 1 or both off over here if you need to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I'm just down the street! We love having Evelyn over. The kids are usually going to get cranky, hungry, tired, messy or all of the above when you're out... so either try to only do a little at a time or drop them off with me for a day and get it all done at once :) and never be embarrassed, we've all been there!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trust me, I feel your pain! I remember how hard it was going from one kid to two! You'll find that three is a piece of cake! You are doing a great job! I can't wait to meet baby Preston. I'm requesting more pictures!! And...tell Andy to update his blog!

    ReplyDelete